In Guayaquil, the Pearl of the Pacific on May 4, 1942 Colegio Americano de Guayaquil opened its doors for the first time to 56 students, who enthusiastically gathered at the villa located in the streets Cordova and General Mendiburu.
Harry Jacobson and his wife Mollie, American citizens had come to Ecuador to open the first school in Guayaquil dedicated to provide bilingual education to Ecuadorian children and for American residents in the commercial capital of the country.
Later, the objective was and still is to promote good teaching and integration among the people of Ecuador and the United States.
During the first three years, kindergarten and six grades of elementary were established at the villa, with half the day teaching in Spanish and half in English. The staff was made up of two teachers: Edna Camacho Rodriguez and Mollie Jacobson.
In 1945 the owners of the American College of Guayaquil were no longer the Jacobson, who left the country for personal reasons, but a group of US businessmen operating in Ecuador reorganized the school as a nonprofit institution; during that year the students had grown up to 175, moving its location to a private residence located on the streets of Chimborazo and Azuay, until 1949 with 280 students. In May 1949 the school year began with a new section, Bilingual Secretary.
In 1950, with the increase in students, the school changed location again to the streets García Moreno and Manuel Galecio. Before the beginning of the school year of 1952 the school board agreed to hire a General Director from the United States; they appointed Mr. James Mark Willoughby.
In 1960, a year of changes, the school moved to what is now its home on Avenida Juan Tanca Marengo Km 6.5 where it has 12.22 hectares, comfortable facilities and a beautiful natural environment.
In 1971, the legal status “Colegio Americano C:A” changed by decision of the owners and formed the Association Colegio Americano de Guayaquil which is the current owner of Educational Unit Colegio Americano.
In 1975, the modern and complete stadium “Robert Allan Reed” is inaugurated, and his wife becomes one of the first school librarians of Colegio Americano. In 1982 the school opened for the Literacy Center “Robert Allan Reed” with over thirty years of successful community work.
In 1990, times of technological progress, the school faces new challenges. Students increasingly competitive, strive for excellence, creditors of countless awards, high academic standards; which it is one of the most valued characteristics of the school, preparing young people with high-performance, useful for the development of the country.
In 2007 the new classrooms for elementary section were built.
In the year 2008 Association Colegio Americano de Guayaquil acquires the Technological Institute Blue Hill College, and became operational in November 2008, this institution of higher education is an opportunity for students of Colegio Americano and others to benefit from agreements with educational units abroad to study and be better professionals.
During the same year improvements to the infrastructure of the school are done, the roof of the basketball court was built, two computer labs, one for elementary and one for high school were renewed. At the elementary area an access to the new pavilion was built and artificial turf was put on the playground.
In 2009, the project to build a sports stadium with artificial turf for the benefit of all students took place.
Colegio Americano is one of the few schools in the country that features a regulated soccer court with outstanding features.
In 2010 – 2011, important decisions were taken, such as the reconstruction of the pavilions of high school to comply for better functioning. The older facilities had served its life cycle and there were other requirements to attend. For this reason, the Board of the Colegio Americano de Guayaquil made a resolution to start the project of construction of new buildings in the high school area.
The construction of the new laboratory buildings began in November 2013.
For the school year 2015-2016, these modern laboratories became operational, and its official opening was in June 2015.
Today we move forward, new challenges arise. The American College of Guayaquil with a history of 73 years has been characterized from the beginning by being a bilingual institution in the service of education for Guayaquil and for Ecuador.
Tradition of Academic Excellence, Colegio Americano de Guayaquil.